1990 to present- Freelance work-
● Freelance art, design and illustration for a wide variety of projects
● Web design, construction and programming
● Logo and brand identity design and implementation strategy
● Maps and information graphics
● Photography and photo retouching
● Freelance art direction and consulting
Clients include: Boheme Opera NJ, Wanderlust Candle Co., Florida International University, Wind-Up Records, Parker-Hanofin, Meopta USA, Xenoglossia magazine (Denmark), Christian Science Pennsylvania Commitee on Publication, The University of Florida, HotGrips, TrueIndy Pictures, New England Brewing, Synthetic Cinema International, Bullet Proof Diesel, numerous private commissions and the rock bands Soul Grind, Brutality, XIII PFP, Forever I Burn, The Queen Killing Kings, FayRey and Skinned.
2004 to 2008- Creative Director- PLAY magazine
New Haven, CT.
PLAY is a free, full color arts and entertainment publication geared towards the nightlife and weekend activities of the 24-32 demographic in and around New Haven. I was approached by the parent company to creat the prototypes for the publication and then taken on as Creative Director to pilot it’s visual evolution.
My responsibilities included initial design and layout of most of the publication’s pages as well as providing or overseeing production of all the art for editorial, promotions, advertising and the website. I was responsible for handling all production related technical issues through each step from concept to completion. During my tenure I redesigned the magazine completely three times to update the look and keep it fresh, but always making sure to maintain the brand identity.
2000 to 2004- Graphics Editor- The Reporter
The Reporter is a medium circulation daily newspaper. While there I provided illustration, graphics and design work as well as teaching seminars and consulting for newspapers throughout the Philadelphia area.
Education & Awards
Maryland Institute College of Art, Bachelor of Fine Arts
Cum Laude 1999 Majoring in General Fine Arts
Studied under Susan Waters-Eller and Julian Allen
William Ferguson Merit Scholarship 1998
● First Place, Society of Professional Journalists, Connecticut Chapter, 2004 Awards Competition for Magazine Layout and Photo Illustration, Page 1
● First Place, Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, 2002 Keystone Awards for Graphic/Photo Illustration in Division 5
● First Place (with a team), Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, 2002 Keystone Awards for Series/Special Project in Division 5
● Second Place, Society of Professional Journalists, Connecticut Chapter, 2004 Awards Competition for Magazine Layout and Photo Illustration, Page 1
● Second Place, Pennsylvania Newspaper Association, 2004 Keystone Awards for Graphic/Photo Illustration in Division 5
● Honorable Mention, Society of Professional Journalists, Connecticut Chapter, 2004 Awards Competition for Daily Newspaper Above 50,000 Layout and Photo Illustration, Page 1
● Two Gannett Well Done awards for design and illustration in 2001
More than 20 years experience doing freelance work in digital and traditional mediums. More than eight years experience providing topnotch graphics, design and illustration in a fast paced, collaborative and deadline oriented environment.
Proficient with Photoshop, Blender, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, XML, PHP, HTML, and CSS.
Experienced with After Effects, Premier, and InDesign.
Familiar with MAC, PC and LINUX platforms.